Here are 60 things about my favorite lady.
1. her favorite hymn is May the Mind of Christ my Savior live in me from Day to Day
2. she has a white streak in her red hair that she started getting when she was 5. (like the girl on what not to wear). Her mom had one in the same spot, but with brown hair. I’ve always loved this. I’ve waited and waited to get this streak but never have. :(
3. Counseled at an all black camp in Tennessee for two summers.
4. Lived in and gave tours of a haunted castle in Europe for a summer.
5. Has her masters in Education and was a year away from her Doctorate when she gave birth to Lucy.
6. Had 3 babies in 3.5 years.
7. Was a missionary in Laos for 3 months.
8. hitchhiked through Scotland.
10. two men asked her to marry them in the same week (she said no) and they ended up talking with each other in a dorm lounge and realized it was the same woman they were both talking about.
11. Got best dressed in college.12. coached high school basketball and cross country.
13. prayed and prayed that her daughters would be best friends one day. We are.
14. was an English Teacher. (A good one and a strict one. When we got back from Scotland Finn could suddenly say his “L”s.)
15. Speaks French.
16. Took archery and horseback riding.
17. Her full name is Joanne Elizabeth Parks Spiro. When she was two a missionary stayed with her family and called her Jody. The name stuck.
18. Her colors are burgundy and olive green.
20. Tutored children in the projects of New York and Chicago.
21. Has planted over 70 roses in her garden and has kept it up all by herself.
22. Loves tug boats.
23. Can find four leaf clovers like nobody’s business. She always has a bouquet going all summer long.
24. Wakes up early to pray for the people on her list.
25. had a solo singing Inch Worm when she was 5.
26. Makes friends everywhere she goes. The QFC checkers know her by name.
27. Loves to walk. Usually about 5 miles every few days, if not every day.
29. Her husband confessed to an affair on Easter 10 years ago and the first words out of her mouth were “I forgive you.” They’re still going strong and happier than ever.
30. Can vibrate her tongue like a snake
31. caught a ball at a Cincinnati reds game when she was a girl but had to give it to the boy she went with.
32. Got kicked out of girl scouts for playing baseball with the boys during a meeting.
34. Was thrown out onto the ice by those brothers so they could see if it was thick enough to skate on.
35. Has hiked from one end of the Olympics to the other (I remember her crying because it was so beautiful)
36. Her favorite book has been Lord of the Rings since it first came out. She reads it every year.
37. Named her first daughter after Lucy in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I love this so much I’ve named my boys children’s book characters too.
38. Older brothers all have D sounds, David, Dan, Dick. Then she married a D sound, David.
39. Always says “choose joy, honor the king, and go in grace”
40. Whenever anyone leaves her house she says, “Come again, come often!”
41. Everyone wants her to be their mom. Some people even just call her Mom.
42. Is vegan.
43. Visited her 96 year old grandmother before she died, fed her a
gingersnap that she choked on and has always thought it might have been
44. Was in love with a boy who died in the war (he loved her too)
45. Is a breast cancer survivor.
46. Has been arrested in China for being suspicious on a campus. (She made friends with the prison guard…of course)
47. Her favorite roses are single petal garden roses.
48. Has the gift of hospitality and offers up her home, heart, and exceptional cooking skills to anyone who walks through her front door.
49. Bought her first house when she was 37
51. A little girl once asked her what was on her arms and she said “those
are freckles. God gave them to me because he loves me so much!” the
little girl said, “I’m glad god doesn’t love me!”
52. Loves to go on long bike rides (over night ones)
53. Is a strong swimmer. The butterfly was her stroke when she swam competitively.
54. Has hosted thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter at her house for as
long as I can remember, sometimes for as many as 50 guests, sometimes
for just us.
55. Wouldn’t even hold a baby when she was pregnant with Lucy and planned
to work. Then she held Lucy for the first time and she said, “I’m
never working again and I want another one right now.” I was the next
56. Miscarried my twin.
57. Is the only one in her family with green eyes. (They all have blue except grandmother had brown. My dad’s whole family has blue eyes, too, but my mom’s one anomaly of green gave all three of her daughters green eyes. Go figure!)58. Is the first person I think of to call when something wonderful
happens…and when something terrible happens.
59. Is the most positive and encouraging person I know. She always wants the best for me and is never jealous, catty, or discouraging. She gets just as excited as you are if something is going well for you. She’s so proud of her daughters and loves us so much, but never in a smothering way. She tries hard to keep her distance but her arms are wide open if we need her.
60. Prefers to be called Grandmother. Her mom did too.
60. Always talks about being “in the spirit” and when she is…there is no
better woman I know.